This course is designed to teach an understanding of the fundamental concepts and applications of the HP Universal CMDB and Discovery and Dependency Mapping. Participants learn visualization and mapping techniques to build business service views, implement change tracking, perform impact analysis, report, and analyze root cause. Federation and the leverage of actionable information are also introduced in the context of Discovery operations and management. The discussions and scenario-based exercises reinforce skills for optimizing business outcomes through efficient use of the HP UCMDB/DDM.
- General knowledge of IT operations, familiarity with business services, and service management.
- Familiarity with the ITIL V3 Foundations subject area and the Configuration Management System in particular.
- Background in network or enterprise application administration and knowledge of enterprise architectures in a production IT infrastructure.
Course Introduction and Foundations
- Course Overview and Agenda
- Business Service Management, ITIL v3 basics, concepts of CMS, CMDB, CI, CITs, relationships.
- HP UCMDB and DDM capabilities, architecture and components, packaging and licensing
- Introduction to the HP Universal CMDB - concepts, features, benefits, services, and integrations
- UCMDB Architecture and Deployment - installation, components, communication, licensing
- Product Overview - application GUI walk-through and demo
- IT Universe Manager - overview of the IT Manager application, its purpose and how to use
Topology Views and Mapping
- CI Type Manager - class model, CI, CITs, relationships
- TQL Definitions and Concepts, TQL Manager
- View Manager Basics - creating views, pattern and instance views
- Topology View Layout, Topology View best practices
- Modeling Studio – creating perspective based views, Models. Advanced methods of adding CIs to an existing model
- Building Reports, Reporting Applications
- Reports Manager, Report creation, Gold master report, scheduling
Correlation and Impact Analysis
- Introduction to Correlation and Impact Analysis - states, status, events
- Correlation, Correlation Manager
Population and Maintenance of the UCMDB
- The CI Lifecycle - overview, aging, population methods
- Enrichment - definition, components, usage and concepts
- Introduction to Discovery - goals, challenges, OSI stack, host keys, spiral discovery, overview of discovery protocols
UCMDB Integration with other Applications
- DDMi Integration with HP UCMDB
- Service Manager Integration with HP UCMDB
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the role and purpose of the HP UCMDB/DDM and the concepts of CIs and CITs in the context of Business Service Management.
- Become familiar with the architecture, integrations, and system level components of the HP UCMDB.
- Understand the concepts of correlation and be able to model cause and impact with correlation rules.
- Enhance and auto-populate the HP UCMDB through the use of Enrichment.
- Understand various enterprise deployment scenarios and configuration approaches.
- Design and build business services views and topology maps to solve business problems.
- Create perspective based views and models using Modeling Studio to make it easy application mapping.
- Use out-of-the-box and ad-hoc reports and comparison options to track infrastructure changes.
- Configure and perform auto discovery of hardware and software CIs.
- Gain a basic understanding of Federation and its implementation.
- BTO Architects leveraging the power of the integrated CMDB across the BTO/BSM portfolio.
- Those in charge of Configuration Management and the documentation and storage of business services and their related assets and relationships.
- Project managers, application modelers, discovery engineers, and UCMDB implementation consultants.
- Integration specialists implementing data federation across the different business silos and software product families.